Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Update on Equine Cushings - now called Equine PPID



Equine Cushing's disease was first described in 1932. Until recently it was considered to be caused by a benign tumor leading to pressure on certain parts of the brain and thus causing changes in the horse's hormone levels. 


Recent research has shown that Equine Cushing's is nothing like Cushing's disease (Hyperadrenocorticism) in humans and dogs, for example. Therefore the name  equine Cushing's disease should be avoided and has been replaced with PPID, which stands for Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction. It is the name of the part in the horses brain that is actually affected by the disease. We know now that it is NOT caused by a tumor, but  it is now actually considered a " neurodegenerative" disease. The formation and accumulation of misfolded "neuroproteins"  seems  to cause the dysfunction in the pars intermedia of the equine pituitary gland. Although there is no resemblance to true Cushings disease, we know now that this neurodegenerative disease has in some aspects more similarity with human Parkinson's disease.

While me measure ACTH in blood to test for PPID in horses, the cortisol levels in the blood are hardly ever elevated in affected horses, because the ACTH that is produced in abundance by the pituitary gland is not partially not hormonally active and cannot trigger increased cortisol production of the adrenal glands.

Looking at the connection between laminitis and PPID and it seems that the increase of  blood Insulin levels is the trigger or better the biggest risk factor for laminitis. PPID increases the risk for these horses with Hyperinsulinemia
For more formation about  Equine Metabolic Syndrome check out our first blogpost and the link to UoM.

You can find more information and a list of possible clinical signs of PPID here

For more  in depth information visit: the Equine Endocrinology Group website



ref: Pathophysiology and clinical features of pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction
D.Mc Farlane EVE 11/14

2 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago of HIV and have lived taking ARV and thought of having Herbal medicine to cure this disease completely. I wouldn't be able to bare Vomiting and my tongue go white because of these diseases called HIV/Aids. I learned to live with it but I have definitely prayed and had hands laid on me, My friends at work knew about my HIV Status so on a faithful day my friend Hannah talk to me about this great man called Dr Itua From west African because my friend Hannah is from West African too she came to acquire degree here in South Carolina, I accepted the challenge and contacted Dr Itua Herbal Center...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com also chat on Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967. Then he delivered his Herbal medicine to me which was labeled as Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cure For HIV/Aids, I took it as he instructed after two weeks I went to test and I was tested Negative. I'm still writing on every blog site related to the following diseases such as HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Shingles,Epilepsy,Autism, Hepatitis B/C, Because he cures this kind of diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it's laa! 9 months ago my doctor told me I was diagnosed with HSV2. I was heart broken, However that same month i found a Dr. who helped me to cured the virus with natural herbal treatment permanently. thanks to Dr. omohan for his natural herbal treatment that eliminated this virus out in my body forever. his contact information for any incurable virus via; dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp him or call him through his phone number +2348164816038.

    ReplyDelete